Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

I know we've only been back from winter break for a month, but times are tough at my school, and I'm already feeling pretty exhausted (and spring break isn't until the end of April!). Shockingly, exhaustion doesn't wear especially well on me, because the school librarian told me the other day that I looked 'half dead.' (Maybe I can convince my students that I have become a zombie?) Lately I have been feeling like I need inspiration and reminders that things will get better more than I feel like I need to create blog posts preaching the gospel of data. I saw this in one of those free regional magazines they have at Whole Foods when I lived in Austin years ago. I tore out the page and have kept it ever since.

The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders is actually part of the Austin school district, but it is for girls in grades 6-12, and students are accepted by application only. I really loved the following statement of values that appears in the student handbook. (I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I also happen to really love Ann Richards...) It just makes me happy, and I hope if you're also in 'survival mode' it will give you boost, too.

An Ann Richards girl shows up.
She knows regular attendance is a key to success.
An Ann Richards girl is respectful.
She respects herself, others, and her school.
An Ann Richards girl sets high goals for herself.
She believes in herself.
An Ann Richards girl is academically successful.
She makes schoolwork a priority.
An Ann Richards girl is a friend and a team player.
She values relationships and does her part in a group.
An Ann Richards girl takes care of her health and wellness.
She makes time for good thoughts, food, and exercise.
An Ann Richards girl demonstrates integrity.
She uses quality thinking to do the right thing.
An Ann Richards girl doesn't just demand change;
She develops and presents thoughtful proposals for change.
She is a problem solver.

Doesn't that make you feel like school can be an empowering place where we set up the next generation of leaders for success? What do you turn to when you are feeling overworked and/or underpaid and/or under-appreciated?

(And, by the way, Ann Richards School, I am totally open to moving back to Texas if you need a science teacher... Just sayin'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment